Episode 45 : Bringing mindfulness and entrepreneurship together
Dr. Joe Flanders is the founder and director of Mindspace as well as the host of the Mindspace Podcast. Joe discovered mindfulness through one of his professors while studying to become a psychologist. Seeing lots of potential in meditation and how mindfulness could help people, Joe stepped away from the traditional full-time clinical psychology career and opened up Mindspace, a Centre for Well-being, where they offer Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy to individuals, groups, and organizations.
Joe’s Growth Story Book Title:
“Finding mind space”
What you’ll learn:
- Joe discovered meditation through one of his professors while studying in Toronto and developed a strong interest for the practice.
- Joe did his first mindfulness training for an organization with a group of leaders from the McGill University Health Centre in 2014 and simply loved it. He saw a great potential and need for this activity in organizational environments.
- “That was the entrepreneurial piece: mediation could be cool! They were doing it in Silicon Valley, celebrities were talking about it…” – Joe on seeing meditation as a great opportunity from a business perspective and something more he could bring to his therapy.
- “You don’t have to be a monk, you don’t have to be a hippie burning incense to meditate, you can simply be riding the bus and training your mind.” – Joe on how mindfulness and meditation can seem a bit woo-woo from afar but it’s really accessible and beneficial to all.
02:20 – Joe has a Ph.D. in psychology from McGill University. He completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is now an assistant professor at McGill in the psychology department and is also a licenced psychologist, member of the Quebec order of psychologists.
57:30 – Joe met Carl Lemieux, experienced management consultant, who became co-owner of Mindspace and his partner in expanding the wellness in organizations side of the business.
01:08:50 – Joe recommends a few books on mindfulness stress reduction:
- Wherever You Go, There You Are and Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn;
- Ten Percent Happier by Dan Harris;
- Waking Up by Sam Harris, who also has a podcast and great app with the same name;
- Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright;
- The Craving Mind by Judson Brewer.